Thursday, March 22, 2012

Note 1: Hard Times

"Hard Times" by Michael Ryan 


Michael Ryan's poem, "Hard Times", characterized by a gruff, sarcastic, and terse tone,
illustrates a picture of a child's (perhaps his) rotten and base family life. The picture of the
pathetic parents, the "lousy job [his] father lands", and his "mother's rosary-pinching hands"
expresses a resentment towards the mother and father. The pigs in a blanket served for
dinner by the mother is referenced and observed as more than a delicacy. The "Teeny
uncircumcised Buddha penises (cocktail hot dogs in strips of dough)" are referred to as
"puffed-up weenie geniuses" who tells the author to get the "fu*%" out of this home life as
fast as possible.

The sultry, simple and yet potent language of the author flumes an
atmosphere of frustration and perverseness. Within the last stanza, the dad is depicted as
unappreciative and perhaps verbally abusive, while as the mother is painted out to be
emotionally overwhelmed and in tears. Finally, in the last line, the author writes, "I
don't know who to hate or how to feel." The plain words of those lines are as powerful as the
running emotions in this poem. In the end, the readers are left to contemplate how the
the kid will approach the situation and whether the kid overcomes this state of malcontent.





5 comments:

  1. Really good job on your post! I like how you incorporated higher diction and was very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a nice job with your claim, I like it. Your left side descriptions are also very intriguing. On the other hand, I think the paragraph as a whole would give you a sense of more confidence if you replace the extra information in the parenthesis with something else. If I were to pick on your paragraph, I would also say that you could find better transitions throughout the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your claim is awesome, and I am envious of your ability to incorporate adjectives effectively. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem, and I love your response to it. I actually just heard this one for the first time last week on a poetry foundation podcast I listen to when I mow my lawn.

    ReplyDelete